To kick start our first blog post, we have put together a list of vegan children’s picture books to share with all of you! These books are heartwarming, fabulous, kind, uplifting and educational! Whether you are a parent or guardian who wants to introduce your kids to veganism or a teacher who wants to remind children of the importance of showing compassion and empathy to all sentient beings with share this planet with, reading books with a vegan message is a way to get started!
Please, keep in mind that this is NOT a list of “the best”, “most popular”, “our favorites”, “the top 15”, “the most recommended” or “perfectly designed” vegan kid’s books. We are NOT endorsing any books in particular, and this is certainly NOT a list of “vegetarian- friendly” books, books that give animals human-like characteristics, books that promote a plant-based diet, books about the environment, or books that promote animal welfare.
We are unapologetically vegan and our goal is to abolish the USE of animals in general, therefore we are only promoting books that present animals in their most dignified way. These books are about compassion and empathy. The following list is in alphabetical order. We believe that all authors deserve to be recognized and to be given the same opportunity. There are no links attached. You search the book. You buy the book. You be the judge.
*Note: If your book or a book you love did not end up here, please let us know about it in the comment section, and we will gladly add it to our list!
So, let’s get started!
1. Always Be Kind by Beth Arnold
2. Anita’s Story: Compassion Is Not a Crime by Ryan Phillips
3. A Pig IS a Dog IS a Kid by Maritza Oliver
4. Billy Goes Vegan by Anna Bean
5. David Loves Chickens by Carlos Patino
6. David Loves Pigs by Carlos Patino
7. Free to Be by Brenda Jenkyns
8. King Zoom and the Great Seal Pup Rescue by Gillian Walters
9. Lena of Vegitopia by Sybil Severing
10. Libby Finds Vegan Sanctuary by Julia Feliz Brueck
11. Milk and Cookie a Little Spooky by Maritza Oliver
12. Not a Nugget by Stephanie Dreyer
13. Santa’s First Vegan Christmas by Robyn Raven
14. Steven the Vegan by Dan Bodenstein
15. That’s Not My Momma’s Milk! by Julia Barcalow
16. The Adventures of Veggie Vero by Veronica Green
17. The Swam Series by Anita Ahmadizadeh
18. Tricky Crystal, The Tiny Maltese by Maria T. Yadanza
19. V Is for Vegan: The ABCs of Being Kind by Ruby Roth
20. Vegan Is Love: Having Heart and Taking Action by Ruby Roth
21. We’re Vegan! by Anna Bean